New Page 1
- GROUP I base oils contain less than 90
percent saturates and/or have greater than 0.03 percent sulfur, plus a
Viscosity Index (V.I.) greater than or equal to 80 and less than 120.
- GROUP II oils contain greater than or equal
to 90 percent saturates and not more than 0.03 percent sulfur, with a V.I.
greater than or equal to 80 but less than 120.
- GROUP II+ is a marketing term used by base
oil sellers to highlight a V.I. of 110 to 119 – that is, in the upper
ranges of Group II.
- GROUP III oils contain greater than or equal
to 90 percent saturates and less than or equal to 0.03 percent sulfur and
have a V.I. greater than or equal to 120.
- GROUP IV base oils are polyalphaolefins (PAO)
- GROUP V is the category for all other base
stocks not included in I through IV
- GROUP VI is for Europe only – includes
polyinternalolefins (These are included in Group V in the United States.)